Here in the Midwest these days, spring break is a big week for many of us to get away from the cold temps & enjoy some much needed fun in the sun. When I was a kid, we didn’t travel anywhere for spring break but these days, everyone seems to migrate south.
For the past 6 years, my family and I have been traveling to Florida for spring break. We’ve visited Orlando, Fort Meyers, Siesta Keys, Tampa, Sanibel and Captiva. For the past 3 years, our vacation spot has been Captiva. We LOVE it there!! It’s just fun in the sun & relaxing with friends and family. It’s MY kind of vacation.
It’s taken me 6 years of traveling to the beaches with my 4 kiddos to finally compile my list of “must haves” when it comes to beach fun. So here are my 10 spring break beach “must haves”…
1. Sunscreen Lip Balm ~ There is nothing worse then sun burnt lips. Trust me! Find a lip balm with at least 25 spf and re-apply it often when out in the sun. Sun Bum is one of my favorites!
2. Sunscreen ~ Do I even have to tell you WHY this is a must? Anyone who’s been to Florida knows how hot that sun gets. I have used the spray sunscreens and while those are way more convenient than the “old school” lotion type, I’ve found that the sprays don’t always give you the best coverage. Sun Bum again is one of my faves! It smells like the sunscreen from when I was a kid too! I recommend at least a 50 spf and re-apply often!
3. A floppy hat ~ Once again that sun is HOT! Have a hat to keep that sun off of your face not only helps prevent over-burnt noses and ears but it will help prevent sun damage too.
4. Baby powder ~ This is the BEST trick ever if you have kids! Sprinkle a little baby powder on sandy hands and feet and then wipe the sand right off. It’s almost magical!
5. Secret Browning Formula ~ I just discovered this little secret last year thanks to friend. It comes in an oil or a lotion and is meant to be used with your sunscreen. It seriously does help give your skin a nice golden brown tan.
6. Ziploc bag for your smart phone ~ I’ve never used this trick but I will definitely be giving this a try this year. Why didn’t I think of this? No more sandy smart phones! Slip your smart phone in a ziploc bag and protect it from sand & water and you can use your phone right through the bag.
7. Black Tea Bags ~ This trick REALLY does work so pack some black tea bags in your bag! I tried this last summer when I got a bit burnt at a baseball game. Simply brew some strong black tea and let it cool…add ice if you need relief fast. When you get a nasty sunburn, dip a paper towel in the tea and dab it on your sunburn. You will feel immediate pain relief. Repeat often to speed up your sunburn recovery. You will thank me for this one! 😉
8. Sunscreen Stick ~ I always carry a sunscreen stick with me for my kids to use on their cheeks, noses, and ears. I find that this just stays on better through the swimming and constant wiping of the eyes.
9. Sea Salt Spray ~ The hot humid weather of Florida makes my usually straight styled hair, anything but straight. So, I suggest you just go with it and get yourself some sea salt spray or make your own. Pinterest has recipes for making your own sea salt spray. Spray it in freshly combed damp hair and scrunch. Get those gorgeous beachy waves. For even better results, try spraying your hair and french braiding it before bed. In the morning, you will have waves that will last!
10. A good beach read ~ I don’t know about you but when I’m vacationing on the beach, I’m not interested in ready my usual reads. I want something a little romantic, fun and carefree to read. Lucky for me, I have a friend who shares her favorite beach reads with me.
So there is my list of “must haves” for my spring break vacation at the beach. I don’t need to tell you to bring your sunglasses…that’s a given! Bring several pairs and shoes too!! Do you have a great beach tip or trick to share? I’d love to hear it! Please feel free to comment below or email me at email@example.com.
Have a happy healthy day!