Here are 5 “must do” fun fall family activities. These are my family’s favorites fall activities…do you have any to add? Please leave us a comment below…
(1) Baking – For some reason when the chillier temperatures hit, that’s when I’m in the mood to bake. Maybe it’s too hot in summer or we are too busy outdoors. I don’t know. I just know that by October, I’m baking cookies, cupcakes, breads and etc. My daughter who is 6 and I have started something new that we call “Brownie Sunday”. Every Sunday we make a different brownie recipe…we make healthier versions of course. One of the easiest healthier options for baking brownies is to simply use a store bought brownie mix and substitute the oil with Greek yogurt. Follow the instructions for the rest of the recipe and bake as directed. They taste amazing without all that added fat.
(2) Apple Picking – Every year we head out to the local apple orchard and pick fresh apples. We then enjoy them as snacks alone or with a little yummy carmel. I bake apple crisp, as well as fried apples (water, sugar and cinnamon). My kids love apple nachos. For these, I simply cut the apples up into bite size pieces, drizzle them with melted all natural peanut butter and/or carmel. Add some mini chocolate chips & chopped nuts if desired. You’ve got a tasty, healthy snack for the kids that’s packed with vitamins, protein, healthy fats and not too much sugar.
(3) Hiking – We enjoy going hiking on trails to see the changing leaves. The colors are amazing, the air is cool and crisp and it just feels great to be outside enjoying this time together.
(4) Pumpkin Picking – Here in Indiana there are a lot of pumpkin patches and fall festivals to visit. We enjoy checking them out and even picking our own pumpkins. Many of these festivals have games, bounce houses, warm apple cider, kettle corn, face painting, crafts, pumpkin picking, hayrides, ziplines, photo ops, and much more! I just love them but I wish my husband felt the same! 😉
(5) Family Pictures – Fall is the perfect time for outdoor family photo shoots. The colors are amazing and the temperatures are usually just right so you aren’t sweating like in the humid summer temps. Get creative with your photo shoot local. Find a good local photographer and get your shoot set up. The hardest part about family pictures is figuring out what everyone should wear. I’ve got a family of 6, so it’s always a struggle but I love these fun idea charts that you can find on Pinterest that help you make sure everyone matches just perfectly.