The way you wear your makeup when you are over 40 should not be the same way you wore it in your 20’s. As we age, our skin is typically not as smooth as it was when we were younger. We often have fine lines and wrinkles and our features change as well. Makeup is a great tool to hide what you may not like and accentuate what you do. You can follow some basic tips to always look your best.
Here are 6 essential makeup tips for women over 40:
- Amp up your lashes – As we grow older our eyelashes often become shorter and thinner so use a mascara that adds length and volume. You might also want to choose a black mascara as this will highlight the whites of your eyes more than a brown mascara will. If you have dark under eye circles, you may want to skip putting mascara on your bottom lashes as this will only accentuate your dark circles and highlight crow’s feet.
- Use a creamy concealer – Dark under eye circles are common as we age. Choose a creamy concealer that will not only cover those dark circles but will also not settle into fine lines and wrinkles. If you are wearing a foundation or face powder, choose your color wisely. A foundation color that is paler than your natural skin tone will exaggerates fine lines. Go a little bit warmer with your foundation color. Choosing a foundation with light-reflective particles creates the appearance of glowing skin. And make sure you do not go heavy on the foundation as thick, heavy foundation will settle into those fine lines and wrinkles…aging you even more.
- Don’t use dark eyeliner – Instead of wearing black eyeliner, choose a brown or grey liner. These shades will not accentuate wrinkles & will actually make your eyes appear larger. You may want to avoid using liner on your bottom lashes if you have dark under eye circles as this exaggerates their appearance.
- Avoid dark lip colors – As we get older, our lips tend to get thinner and wearing dark, bright or metallic lip colors will only make them appear thinner. Choose a neutral rose lip color. Switching from a lipstick to a sheer, colored lip gloss can make your lips appear fuller too.
- Don’t forget your eyebrows – Eyebrows that are plucked, trimmed & shaped correctly, can rejuvenate a face. To cover the empty spaces (you guessed it, our eyebrows thin down as we age too), I recommend using a highly pigmented eye shadow with an angled eyeliner brush. Choose an eye shadow shade that is 2 shades darker than your natural hair color. Use a clean mascara wand brush to gently brush your brows and shape them. Then keep them in place with an eyebrow gel.
- Use a blush in a natural shade – As we age, our skin tends to have a more reddish color so you may want to stay away from red, brown and pink blushes. Choose a peach or more natural looking blush color. Adding a bronzer just under your cheekbones is a great way to add a healthy glow & contour at the same time.
Less is more when it comes to make up in my opinion no matter your age. The photo above is me. I will be 44 in December. In the photo on the left my lips appear thinner (dark lip color). My eyes appear smaller on the left. I have a healthier glow on the right. What do you think? Do you see a difference? I like my makeup to be natural looking and accentuate my features while diminishing fine lines, wrinkles and areas that I may not love. We many not love what age does to our skin and face but I love that we can slow down the aging process with natural anti-aging skincare and use makeup to help minimize areas and accentuate others. We can fake the appearance of youthful skin just a little.
Have a beautiful day!