I have a new found love and passion for essential oils, not only for their medicinal & health uses but for using around my home as well. I must admit that when I first heard about using essential oils, I didn’t quite get it. I thought it was kind of a “hippy” thing. But then I ordered my first bottle and a few months later ordered 3 more. Now, I’m hooked! I just love using something that is natural & actually good for your body instead of toxic chemicals that we find in medications, cleaners, & etc. Using essential oils in your home is not only healthier for you & your family but it can actually save you money too because one bottle of essential oil can be used for many different uses and it only takes a few drops in many cases. Think about how long that bottle will last you & how much money you could save!
If you are new to essential oils, I suggest starting with peppermint essential oil because there are so many uses for it this summer. It’s actually one of my favorite essential oils. Here are 25 healthy ways to use peppermint essential oil in your home & save money by using it:
- Keep ants and spiders out of your home by making a barrier of peppermint essential oil. Put some oil on a cotton ball and wipe around the areas they are entering your home such as doorways or windows. They won’t cross the barrier.
- Place peppermint essential oil on cotton balls and leave in strategic areas around your home to deter mice.
- Peppermint essential oil mixed with tea tree oil and water can make a great disinfectant for things around your home.
- Add some peppermint essential oil to your homemade cleaners to give them a fresh scent and to give them antifungal and antibacterial properties.
- In a spray bottle, mix epsom salts and a few drops of peppermint essential oil with warm water. Swish around until salts are dissolved. Spray on dogs to help with fleas.
- A few drops of peppermint essential oil mixed with water in a spray bottle will help kill aphids on plants.
- Place peppermint essential oil on the tip of a cotton swap and put around the head of a tick to remove it from skin.
- Help stop nausea and indigestion. Inhale the scent of peppermint oil to stop nausea. For indigestion, rub peppermint essential oil with a carrier oil on abdomen in a circular motion.
- Add a few drops of peppermint essential oil to a humidifier for colds and congestion.
- Add a few drops of peppermint essential oil and lavender essential oil to a carrier oil (to take the itch out of bug bites.
- To help with motion sickness, rub a few drops of peppermint essential oil with a carrier oil to the inside of your wrists.
- Inhale peppermint essential oil to increase alertness and brain function before taking a test or studying.
- To relieve a rash, rub a few drops of peppermint essential oil & coconut oil on the affected area.
- Make your own lip balm. All you need just 3 ingredients…3 Tablespoons grated beeswax or beeswax pastilles, 1/2 c coconut oil, 8 drops of peppermint essential oil. Melt the coconut oil and wax on low heat. Remove from heat and stir in essential oil. Pour into containers and allow to cool. Cap and label.
- To help with hot flashes, mix a few drops of peppermint essential oil in a water bottle and spritz when needed.
- Place a few drops of peppermint essential oil on a cotton ball and put it in the bottom of your trash can to keep it smelling fresh.
- To relieve headaches try rubbing peppermint essential oil on your temples and at the base of you neck.
- Make your own massage oil to relieve tired achy muscles with a few drops of peppermint essential oil & almond oil.
- For an all natural energy boost, combine a few drops of peppermint essential oil with a citrus essential oil like orange or lemon and apply to the back of your neck. Inhale the oil left on your hands.
- For a fever, mix a few drops of peppermint essential oil with a carrier oil and rub onto the torso. This can reduce body temperature by 3 degrees in just minutes. You can also add a few drops of peppermint essential oil to a wet washcloth and apply head to toe to comfort and cool a feverish body.
- To relieve sinus congestion, diffuse a few drops of peppermint essential oil for immediate relief and revitalized air flow.
- Breathe in the scent of peppermint essential oil to satisfy your appetite and help you feel fuller faster.
- For a natural bug repellent, mix 16 oz of water or witch hazel & 25 drops of peppermint essential oil. Shake well and keep the bugs at bay.
- Make your own toothpaste with 3 simple ingredients baking soda, sea salt and peppermint essential oil…2/3 c of baking soda, 1 tsp of fine sea salt, & 10-15 drops of peppermint essential oil. Mix a little water in for desired consistency.
- Use it when cleaning as it has antifungal and antibacterial properties. Fill a spray bottle with 2 parts water to 1 part vinegar. This is the basic cleaning mixture. You can add an essential oil like peppermint essential oil, lemon essential oil or tea tree essential oil (10-20 drops) for a great smell & extra cleaning power. Shake before each use.
Using essential oils in your home is a great way to eliminate toxins in your home. They are the perfect solution for the problems that chemicals, poor nutrition and stress add to our daily lives. There are many different brands of essential oils to choose from, my suggestion is to find one that is 100% pure. Please feel free to email me at email@example.com for more suggestions.